Sunday, June 24, 2012

29. Fish Right Meow (spaghetti with sardines)

First: an apology for lack of food photos. When we sat down to dinner tonight I was (a) hungry and (2) unimpressed with the aesthetic value of tonight's dish, but once I started eating, I realized that even though this pasta is just something I threw together with pantry ingredients, I'll probably make it again. It takes 10 minutes to make and is cheap as hell. 

I eat sardines rarely as a quick lunch with a schmear of hot mustard or hot sauce on crackers. I knew it was healthful to eat and a pretty responsible choice as far as fish consumption goes, but I didn't know just how nutritious: they contain B vitamins, tons of vitamin D and more omega-3 fat than salmon. They're also super low in mercury and other contaminants because of their low place on the food chain. So stick that on your cracker and eat it.

Better yet, eat THIS!


Spaghetti with Sardines

Enough spaghetti for 2
1 can of sardines packed in olive oil (I removed the center spiney bone from mine)
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 dry chili pepper, crushed (sub with red chili flakes)
1 tsp capers
1 tbsp pine nuts
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes (Or diced, if you like tomato chunks)
lemon wedges

Boil spaghetti in salted water until al dente. To a pan on medium heat, add the olive oil from the can of sardines. Once heated, throw in garlic, pepper, pine nuts and capers. Stir until garlic and nuts are light brown. Stir in tomatoes and cook for a minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add hot spaghetti and toss. Serve with lemon wedges (next time I might add some lemon zest to the sauce).



2 comments:

  1. Mami said: Next time, eat that fish spine that you discarded. It is full of calcium. Your recipe sounds fab, and I agree that the lemon rind will rock, along with capers, pine nuts, etc.

    My birthday sockeye salmon was probably the best fish I have ever eaten in years & years. To die for, as they say. Here's how it was done:

    The boneless filet was butcher-wrapped skin side down on a doubled piece of foil. I had rubbed on mayo, mustard, Trini pepper sauce, lemon juice, salt, chili pepper, garlic/olive oil puree, Angostura.

    (Maybe something else was added, but heck, I don't recall. Age is catching up with me, methinks).

    The BBQ master grilled it skin side down, for about 30 minutes. Perfect sides were cauliflower with cheese sauce, plus a fabulous green salad with fresh strawberries & toasted pecans/cashews.

    By the time dinner was served, I was in a delightful state of euphoria, compliments of the well-chosen bottle of Prosecco. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the bones are good for you, but I can't get past the texture. I would eat it if it were ground up, like if I made fish cakes or something.

    That dinner sounds fantastic! And the drink!

    ReplyDelete