Sunday, June 10, 2012

27. DOUBLE FEATURE!

Here's a bonus post cause it's Sunday. And on Sunday, He said, Apply Thine Leb Food to Thine Face. Check out the spread I made the other day:

Baked Kibbe, Hummus, Tabbouleh, pita (ok, I bought this)
You all know how to make hummus so I'll not go into detail. I will say that if you can't find good pita bread, this recipe that Geoff sent me makes the meal infinitely better.


I used a lemon and a lime in the tabbouleh and it was delicious! We both had seconds. Mami tip: no fresh mint? Open a mint teabag and keep it with the bulghur wheat on the bottom of the bowl while you chop and add everything else.


I feel pretty comfortable making hummus and tabbouleh, but kibbeh isn't something I've had a lot of experience with (in fact, this is only the second time I've made it myself). The first time I followed a recipe (that I can no longer locate) and it was perfect! This time I winged it and added a couple of unusual ingredients to the filling. I thought larger chunks of onion might add tasty hits of sweetness, which it did, but it came out almost too ugly to justify. Here's how I made a little dish of it (the same 2-quart baking dish that I used for the strawberry-rhubarb crisp). I'm thinking of trying it again, substituting ground turkey for the beef.


For filling:
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, cinnamon, cumin
1 tsp pomegranate molasses

For bulghur part:
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped to preferred consistency
fine bulghur wheat (same grind as tabbouleh)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each pepper and dried mint

1 1/2 tsp butter


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease baking dish.
2. Brown pine nuts in a dry or olive oil-ed pan and remove. Heat olive oil and add onion and beef. Fry until brown. Add seasonings and taste to see if anything is needed.
3. Mix all other ingredients into a bowl until smooth, then add the wheat until it looks right. I don't remember how much I added -- maybe 3/4 cup?
4. Divide mixture in two, pressing one half smoothly into the greased baking dish, covering with the filling and then covering that with a thin layer of the rest of the bulghur mixture. Score the top in some kina triangley pattern, then dot with butter.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Nice work! I've never attempted kibbee ever!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mami said: See how kibbee is shrunken & cracked on top? That's because you did not soak the bulgur enough, before adding meat & cooking. My own Mami taught me to use equal weights of beef & bulgur, for best results. And you know she's the Leb version of Julia Child!

    You got it right, in that tabbouli's bulgur does not need pre-soaking, or it'll become too weepy. The liquids from lemon juice, tomatoes & parsley will be enough. Your tabbouli looks delish. Dad would be proud that it glistens from generous olive oil addition. De rigueur in his book.

    On the subject of Dad, don't invite him over if you make turkey kibbee. And that goes for anything turkey. Instead, experiment with potato or squash or fish kibbee. Bet you never heard of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soak enough? I didn't soak it at all! I'm supposed to soak it? Uh-ohhhh. Alright, noted for next time.

      Re: turkey, do you remember this guy's website? (http://www.antoniotahhan.com/2011/10/30/seasonal-pumpkin-kibbeh/) The pumpkin kibbeh looks SO good.

      Delete