Sunday, June 10, 2012

26. Schpring has schprung (rhubarb-strawberry crisp)

Sorry I lied about bringing dessert breakfast "tomorrow," but I think this will make up for it. It's a good combination, the strawberry and rhubarb, but often a little sweet for a lover of acidity like myself. So when I found rhubarb at the market, I looked up recipes for a crisp and fiddled with the strawberry:rhubarb ratio.

This was pretty good. 
Unfortunately, even in recipes that had more strawberries (which provide a sweet counterpart to the puckery rhubarb), I thought the sugar content was way too high and there wasn't enough oat topping. Here's my recipe:

Filling:
3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup chopped strawberries
1 tbsp flour
1/3 cup white sugar

Topping:
1 cup oats
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch allspice
1/2 cup melted butter or oil (I did half and half)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chop fruit and add to a 2 quart baking dish. Mix in the sugar and flour.
2. In a bowl, mix together dry topping ingredients. Mix in fat fatty fat until the mixture is wet and evenly top fruit mixture with it. 
3. Bake 40-50 minutes, until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Smell the air. 


Serving suggestion: still warm, with a scoop of thick plain yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment