Wednesday, March 21, 2012

9. The Rockfish Files: Lemongrass-Steamed Rock Fish

Ever have rockfish? I hadn't, but when whole rainbow trout was sold out at IGA I picked up a fillet of this firm species of cod instead. This is where I get moralistic on your ass: I didn't know until I got home that rockfish is on OceanWise's "not recommended" list for overfishing and its trawling method of harvest, which damages reefs. I try to only cook sustainable seafood and eat at restaurants that do the same (like my most favouritest sushi joint, Sushi Mart), but once I messed up I decided to prepare it like I had planned for the trout:


Line a steamer basket with bruised lemongrass, basil leaves and a couple of split chilies. Lay the fillet on top and steam for 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile, julienne a stalk of green onion and heat sesame oil with soy sauce and a half-teaspoon of sugar to toss on top of the fish once cooked. The meal came together quickly; I blanched asparagus for 2 minutes and to ensure our daily intake of butter we had mashed por-tatoes. 

Verdict? It was alright. Good, even--but I'll stick to sustainable fish. I find that I like white fish best when it's prepared like tofu: in soup, covered in a sauce like red curry, fried, or battered and fried. Oily fish is still at the top of my list since it needs nothing more than a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon.

Happy Helping-to-Destroy-the-Ocean Day!

2 comments:

  1. Mami said: Looks 'green enough' to me! BTW, could you discern the flavours of "lemongrass, basil leaves and a couple of split chilies" in the finished fish? Wonder if that combo works with a chicken breast instead of fish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mami: the basil leaves were on their way out so I just got rid of them and didn't taste them a bit, but the lemongrass was definitely there. As for the chilies, I didn't taste them but B had smoke coming out of his ears. You might have luck with a very thinly-sliced chicken breast, though I'd probably bake it instead of steam it. With, you know, butter.

    ReplyDelete