Sunday, March 4, 2012

7. Who Mistook the Steak for Chicken?: Lemongrass Chicken

Anyone who knows me can guess that Vietnamese is on my list of favourite cuisines. The restaurant I frequented in Victoria, Pho Vy, had two main dishes that I sometimes found it hard to choose between: pho (27 regular; hold the rare steak) and lemongrass chicken bún. Bún comes in a large bowl filled with rice vermicelli, pickled vegetables, a chopped spring roll, cilantro, crushed peanuts, fried shallots and chicken. Top it off with the fish sauce-based dressing--I use it all--and mix. All of the elements are, in my opinion, equally important, but the chicken is incredible. Moist, salty-sweet, smoky and sticky with a bit of tang.


I had good luck recreating the chicken at home tonight with this recipe, with sides of lemongrass-scented jasmine rice (toss a few bruised pieces into the pot as it cooks) and garlic-sauteed vegetables. As I don't
have a grill, I made it on the stovetop, then placed it on a baking sheet to broil for some colour. I'm looking forward to round two at lunch tomorrow.

Chopped roasted peanuts and green onion to sprinkle on top. 
I also finally made the rosemary and kosher salt bread I had mentioned. It was delicious! This time it rose much better, but although I was hoping to use it for sandwiches we just kept slicing pieces off to eat plain or dipped in olive oil and balsamic. Here's a pic:


Once again, the recipe is here to tinker with as you wish. Easy peasy rice and cheesy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment