Monday, April 23, 2012

17. A Petit Dejeuner (mini shortcut pain au chocolat)

I've always loved pain au chocolat: flaky croissant dough wrapped around bittersweet sticks of chocolate. It pairs brilliantly with espresso on a leisurely morning and since I'm a huge fan of leisurely mornings, I could probably list all the best places to purchase this treat. I like to make things myself, though, and I find the laminating process for the dough too time-intensive and intimidating to attempt, so I found myself a shortcut.


Using the recipe as a guide, I cut premade puff pastry into squares and topped each with a scant teaspoon of raspberry jam and a few dark chocolate chunks. . .

before rolling them up and brushing with an egg (beaten with vanilla), then sprinkling with cinnamon sugar. . . 


It goes into a 400 degree oven for 15-18 minutes (depending on size) and schwing!


Flaky, buttery little snacks almost as good as my beloved pain but not nearly as much work. As delightfully melty as they were warm, I liked them even better the next day when the chocolate re-solidified.

Is there anything puff pastry can't do?

2 comments:

  1. Mami said: Do you deliver? It is after midnight, and I crave one (or 2 or 3) of these, right now.

    I feel faint. I NEED pain au chocolat. NOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. G lit up at seeing this post last night and started feverishly pointing at it with a big smile on his face, so I will definitely need to try it. Please keep these posts coming! I think we made most of the recipes (still finishing the quiche which turned out spectacular).

    ReplyDelete