Sunday, April 15, 2012

15. Feast of Burden: Seared Scallops, Twice-Baked Yams, Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken

Ham. We've all had it, except for vegetarians, Muslims and Jews. I bet even some of them have tasted a slice here and there. But when does ham become so much more than a fatty cut of meat that, when sliced thinly, has a buttery texture and will melt in the mouth? Some might argue that prosciutto, encircling a chunk of cantaloupe or fresh fig, represents the zenith of food pairings, and I'm inclined to agree. Still enjoyable, though, is Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken: boneless breasts wrapped with another animal and stuffed with the coagulated secretions of yet another. How's that for food writing!

But first: let's talk scallops. I bought Nova Scotia sea scallops, which deserve only the simplest preparation. 


For the fruit salsa: dice half a mango (I only buy the Ataulfo/Champagne variety now), 1/2 cup of pineapple, 1/4 cup of red onion and a sprinkling of whatever chili you like. I used half a green serrano. Mix in lime juice, salt and chili powder to taste and let sit for a while so the flavours meld. 

Scallops: get a pan smoking hot (this was my downfall; I was impatient). Butter, a little oil. Add scallops, sprinkle with salt and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. A sufficiently hot pan should result in a brown crust on either side of the scallop with a hint of translucence in the middle. 


I blended the other half of the mango with pineapple, coconut water and ice to make the above drink. A tasty alcoholic variation might be to add a shot or two of Malibu or Soho lychee liqueur. For the main:


Chicken: stuffed with Jarlsberg, wrapped in Canadian prosciutto and fried in a pan, 3 minutes each side. It is then transferred to a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. As long as the oven's on, roast zucchini coins and red pepper strips (olive oil, salt, pepper, 25 minutes) and twice-bake your cooked yam. (Split, scoop, mash with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar, re-fill and bake for 20 minutes.) The yams are pure dessert. 


By the way, I ate less than half of my chicken breast. These things must be on major 'roids nowadays; I recommending splitting the breasts in half for more manageable portions. Jarlsberg pairs beautifully with the chicken and the ham keeps it nice and moist, if a little salty. This dinner made me feel sort of posh. 

But it doesn't mean I didn't play with my food. 

2 comments:

  1. Mami said: Les couleurs sont très belles! When I make this, I'm adding some eggplant, purely for the purple colour. Or perhaps I'll do my usual: mixing it all up into ratatouille.

    ReplyDelete