Tuesday, February 28, 2012

4. Hunks of Flesh: Standing Rib Roast

I made my second standing rib roast ever last night. It. . . was a success. Well, okay. I undercooked it because I was afraid of overcooking it. But I cut off a slice from either end, shoved it back into the oven, and when we were done with dinner the middle was cooked to perfection! By perfection I mean rare.

Let's just get to the pictures:


In practical terms, the good thing about cooking a hunk of something is that you don't have to cook it again later. I don't love leftovers, but there's a lot you can do with some quality prime rib roast, pulled pork, roasted tofu, roast chicken or roasted veggies in your fridge. Tonight I made this with some of the remaining beef (sorry, blurry pic):

I know that meat is grossing you out, Ma, but I promise I'll be okay. I made a honey mustard vinaigrette and you see those chunks of stale bread in there? That's my stale bread! The loaf I made this weekend was transformed into crunchy goodness for this salad. There's also green leaf lettuce, grape tomatoes, red pepper, queso fresco and some fresh mint. On the side was some stir-fried Chinese eggplant in a sweet-and-sour sauce (soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and a clove of garlic), which I realize doesn't go with the salad but it was good nonetheless.






Mmm. . . formerly purpley.








In closing, take a look at this crazy shit:







One of these things is not like the other. . .







Later in the week I'll tell you all about the GREAT dessert I made with this gigantic egg, and also some other ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the cow walked directly onto that salad plate, without giving the abbatoir-owner the pleasure of slaughtering it first. But the eggplant....is so inviting...

    Save some for Mami

    ReplyDelete